I have called Newport Pagnell my home off and on since 2017. Ben was born and raised here, and we’ve lived with his parents several times when figuring out our own housing situation. Between living and visiting here regularly over the last few years, I like to think I’ve gotten to know the town pretty well. So here’s a guide to my favorite nature walks, town life highlights, eats, and drinks to help you adventure local in Newport Pagnell!
There are so many lovely nature walks to be found in and around Newport Pagnell! All make for nice walks in the great outdoors, no matter the weather. Unless there’s been flooding, in which case you might want to avoid Castle and Riverside!
- Bury Field – An ancient common ground that has been mentioned in texts going back to 1276 CE. A wide open space with lots of desire paths for meandering, a popular area for dog walks, several good benches to rest on and take in the moment.
- Castle Meadow – A small green space with multiple picnic benches. Connects to Ousebank Gardens by a nice footbridge over the River Ouzel.
- “Farmer’s Field” – A section of farmland between Newport Pagnell and the A509 heading to Chicheley. A herd of deer have made it home for the past few months, and I’ve even seen several foxes playing together!
- Ousebank Gardens – Well manicured gardens near a community center, connected to a lovely old cemetery that sits at the foot of the beautiful St. Peter and St. Paul’s church.
- Riverside Meadow – The biggest floodplain during peak rainy periods. Also the biggest green area to walk or run through that’s not set too far out of town. A large playground for kids that was recently revamped, and a few popular swimming areas for warm summer days.
- Tongwell Lake – Just over the M1 from Newport Pagnell, it is one of the famous balancing lakes of Milton Keynes. So many species of birds call the lake home, my favorites are the playful cormorants! A great running route, and lots of benches and picnic tables scattered around it.
This is a truly special town with a thriving high street, plenty of town events, and it’s very own luxury British car brand! Here is just a small list of the things that make this town so much fun to “Adventure Local” throughout Newport Pagnell.
- Aston Martin Works – We all know of Aston Martins as James Bond’s favorite cars, but did you know that the brand has a historic connection to Newport Pagnell too? A manufacturing plant from 1955-2007, it operates as a showroom and restoration workshop these days.
- Community Events – Newport Pagnell Town Council and a few volunteer groups have worked together over the last few years to create some wonderful community events. We especially love the Summer Carnival and Firework Night! And Food Truck Friday each month is not to be missed.
- Market Hill Greengrocer – My in-laws love his eggs, we love all the gorgeous veg he stocks every day. Well worth a nose to supplement your weekly shop.
- No. 38 Vintage Emporium – Do you love vintage? Do you love small, locally handmade pieces of jewelry and homegoods? Then No. 38 Vintage Emporium is the shop for you! Such an adorable space full of so many gorgeous pieces.
- Nothing Wasted Refill Shop – The place to go for all things eco-friendly. They stock some lovely sweet things (vegan brownie bites and fudge spring to mind), and as the name suggests, plenty of dry and hygiene goods to refill your stocks at home for a reasonable price.
There are so many restaurants in Newport Pagnell. Like, so many. Here are my favorite restaurants in town, based on flavors and willingness to cater to my dairy-free requirements.
- Capadocia Turkish Restaurant – There are a lot of Turkish restaurants in Milton Keynes, and Capadocia is one of the best. We’ve celebrated so many milestones here – they even hosted our dinner party the night before we got married! They will go out of their way to give you dairy-free + gluten free bread, and are always happy to point out meals on the menu made without dairy products.
- Kakori – Definitely our family favorite Indian restaurant in town, and there are plenty to choose from. The flavors are are always so fresh and vibrant, and they’re really helpful with picking out dishes that don’t contain dairy.
- Murati’s Pizzeria Ristorante – A great classic Italian restaurant. You know a place will be happy to cater dairy free diets when it has a dedicated vegan menu, and Murati’s is always happy to oblige. One of my favorites from their menu, the seafood pizza, even comes cheeseless as standard! They offer vegan cheese for pizzas too.
- Pin Petch Thai Restaurant – A delicious and authentic Thai restaurant. Thai food tends to be mostly dairy free naturally so I always feel safe eating here. They also have a great vegan menu. Pin Petch offers takeaway but the freshness of those meals has been hit and miss for us so definitely book a table when indoor dining is available.
It wouldn’t be a complete Adventure Local: Newport Pagnell guide if I didn’t provide a list of the best places to get drinks in town!
- The Kings Arms – The best beer garden in town, bar none. They pull a good Guinness, have a decent range of gins, and is my favorite place to get a cider on a hot summer day.
- Murati’s Pizzeria Ristorante – If you’re looking for a cocktail in Newport Pagnell, Murati’s is the place to go. They make a great Cosmo, and are even offering takeaway cocktails during lockdown.
- Out of Office Coffee House – Newport Pagnell’s very own branch of the small local coffee chain. They make a mean oat latte, and I’ve been recommended to try an iced cortado from them on a hot day. Usually a great selection of vegan cakes too!
- The Cannon Free House – Our favorite pub in Newport Pagnell. A great range of real ales, and they’ve been expanding their gin bar too. They have a lovely big patio out back, and the best drinks prices in town.
- The Rose & Crown – A cute little pub off the beaten path in NP. It was done up a few years ago and is super cosy now, a great pub for a wintry evening.
I hope you have as much fun “adventuring local” in Newport Pagnell as I have! Am I missing anywhere on my lists? Let me know about your favourite Adventure Local: Newport Pagnell finds!